Sunday 2 August 2009

Arty Chickens

You only have to browse some of the country and even city gift shops to see what a popular subject the chicken is in the art world. Paintings, gift cards, ceramics, jewelry and toys are inspired by our feathered friends. Their unique and humorous characters are always portrayed in the massive array of merchandise on offer, and never fail to bring a smile to the chicken lover. I started off by playing around with my camera's special effects and was amazed at the different ways I could capture my beautiful little hens - Blodwyn, Braith, Bethan and Bronwen.
I wonder what the great Claude Monet would think of my impression of Blodwyn in the meadow?


Blodwyn in the meadow

Then I turned Blodwyn into an Andy Wharhol type image

Blodwyn

Could this be a Tate Gallery possibility?

Bethan -section image

Then the nostalgic sepia effect


Bronwyn

And the old black and white - which is most appropriate for my girls as they are called Magpie rangers and their colouring is black and white.

Braith

After the photos, I had to dig this one out. An original 'doodle' by Phylis Blakemore - member of Wrekin Writers and most importantly - my mom! She doodled this cute little cockerel when we were on holiday in Scotland. I treasure it, as she not only created a little character - she gave a little bit away about her self.

Cockerel doodle - Phylis Blakemore

This is an original creation by a young lady I met through my work called Mel Addison. She agreed to paint my lovely cockerel Jupiter in exchange for a copy of my book. You only have to go to the beginning of my blog to see how well she captured him. As he is no longer with us, I feel she immortalised him in this magical picture.



Jupiter - Melanie Addison


This lovely picture was painted by Susan White who is married to our very own Mike White of Wrekin Writers. The subject was a cute little cockerel who we met on our annual writer's retreat last year, near Aberdovey. Susan is very talented and captured this little character so well. We all got to feed him as he was very tame. She created this gorgeous little painting within a few hours, as she does with many of her paintings. I was so thrilled when she gave it to me and he proudly adorns my kitchen wall, along with an entire collection of arty chickens!


Picture of a cockerel - Susan White 2008


I make no apologies for the shameful plug on this one. The little brown hen on this book cover has helped to sell my book 'One Hundred Ways for A Chicken To Train Its Human'. She and all the other chickens I have been blogging about are a constant source of inspiration to me and will continue to be in the future.




































3 comments:

  1. Hi Di

    I had no idea you could so much with a camera. You are certainly very talented.

    I love the artwork too.

    Best wishes

    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Di,

    Visited Blists Hill again today and there were a variety of chickens around us. One large hen chasing a bantam with feathers around his small feet but the little creature fought back bravely. 'Di would know what type you are,' was the thought that immediately came into my head. Hugs...Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole
    I love Blists Hill, in fact I used to work there, your comments have really made me want to go back and see those little chucks!

    Love Di
    x

    ReplyDelete